Thursday, June 14, 2007

Day 11/30

Yesterday I got to see a good friend of mine from high school. I don't have many friends from high school - I was kind of a recluse even then (go figure) and I suppose a little off-putting with the black nail polish and whatnot. We took her friend's kid and my own to Pirate's Cove and then went back to her parents' place for lunch. It was fabulous to see her. We fell out of touch for nearly 8 years while we explored different paths, but somehow things are the same... in a really good, refreshing way that makes me thankful for the growing experiences I've had.

I was even lucky enough to see her fabulously cynical, bratty younger sister and also her mom and dad. It's so interesting how stories arise around a good meal. We all sat around the table chatting, just as we did as teenagers, and I couldn't help noticing that though it's been nearly 20 years since high school, we all looked about the same and carried similar attitudes into our semi-adulthood. We are all activists in our own ways. We still have similar concerns about the world and state of the nation. I am so fortunate to have these lifelong friends.

And now it's time for the 168-hour break we Americans are allotted... vacation!