Friday, May 25, 2007

Hello. A 30 Day Challenge.

I have lived in the northern suburbs of Chicago for over 4 years now. I stopped cycling and walking after I moved out of my old Lake View neighborhood, after I had a child (ouch!), and after my bike was vandalized in my "secure" condo parking spot. I have no excuse to drive everywhere. My tax dollars were recently put to good use by my town's expansion of the Millenium Trail. I could ride to the gym, just 1 mile away. I could ride to the library, just 3/4 of a mile away. I could ride to the CVS and buy tampons for Pete's sake (just 1/2 mile away)!!!

I'm currently taking a qualitative action research class to complete my masters degree. I wondered how I could apply the methods I've been learning about to real life.

Why not challenge myself to put the environmental/health research I've done to good use and do something about my bad habits? I am challenging myself to ride my bike around town to do my errands for 30 days. I'm starting small because I don't want to feel defeated too soon.

So here I am.