Friday, May 25, 2007

Day 1/30: Errands complete

I made my way around town early. There is one tricky stoplight that is child unfriendly. Why can't urban planners plan for children and parents on bikes? There's really no way to bike to my grocery store or library safely with a child. The engineers put in a good path, but ya just can't cross the street safely. I think a lot about this because my kiddo will soon be home with me for the summer and I don't want to fall into the gas trap just because I can't get her across the street. It does become a handful: me, my bike, her, her bike, her favorite stuffed elephant (Sparkly).

Enough complaining. Before I started this I wondered why I rarely saw adults riding bikes down our new 2M path. On the weekends I see the racers training, but what about regular old people like me?

Today I made note of stores I patronize that have bike racks. Not many. The library has this weird rack system with a fat black double pole that you're supposed to mount your bike above somehow. While I have a light-ish aluminum frame I still found this difficult and couldn't get my old U-lock around the bike and the pole. Hmmm.

I rode to the gym, dropped off my library books, and bought my junk at CVS (I used my own bag - something else I'm trying), and rode home without incident. Goal accomplished. Errands complete. :)