Saturday, May 26, 2007

Day 2/30: Suburban Blahs

I rode again this morning after the rain for 45 minutes and discovered a pond not on my park district map. No destination this morning, but I decided to bike for exercise instead of using machines. I'm not sure how fast I went or how far so I can't calculate the distance. I'm happy. The wind in my hair felt good. Flying past massive trucks, landscapers, dog walkers, and Nike-d yuppies (with their dog-children) felt good.

Random thought: Sometimes I wonder if living in the suburbs will have an affect on me like that guy in the movie Altered States where the guy does the sensory deprivation experiments and turns into a weird beast. If you want mind stimulation here, you really have to a) hunt and drive to it, or b) make it yourself.

School, music, art, and documentaries. These make me think. My public library has a pretty good selection of music, surprisingly, since everything else seems so bland at times. When I worked at the library we had a say in what was bought so we ordered the most alt of alt rock available. It was fun. And we had a great art book selection. The photography section is pretty poor, but there are 2 I love: an archive of Stanley Kubric's work (always overdue, oops) and Drive By Shooting - shots by a NY cabbie.

Yesterday my 5 year old was angry. She usually draws pictures of hearts and flowers for me when she's angry. But yesterday she drew me 2 hearts with Xs over them and later in the evening I found the word NO written on a paper taped to my door. Defiance.