Thursday, March 11, 2010

Cabinets... cabinets... patience!

Home improvement takes patience. Something I'm not known for. This cabinet project took 4 days.

I was tired of looking at my dirty beat up cabinets and wondered how I could improve them rather than pay $10K to replace them (not worth it in my case whether we end up staying here another 6 years or get to move next year). Anyhow, it turns out a lot of older folks are totally into oak cabinets. Who knew.

I bought 22 cabinet pulls, laid out my tools, held my breath, and started drilling the first set. I used my templates to mark the holes, drilled pilot holes, drilled final holes, and then screwed in the handles. It turned out great! I did most of the work on the first day and it took me about two hours.

The door template. (I heart geometry!)


The drawer template.


Luckily there were only 2 doors and 2 drawers that needed to be removed, sanded, and restained. This is how I did it: sand it, stain it, sand it, stain it, sand it, polyurethane it. Whew!

Original condition of the one door. So sad.


A sad, scratched up drawer.


Cabinets with drilled holes.


A drawer with the pull installed.


The restored cabinets with the pulls.

Ta-da!

After the cabinets were finished, I made a pair of little curtains to give us some color and privacy. They actually look good!