Wednesday, March 17, 2010

A project stalled...

for just a short time. This week I'm sick. I wanted to tackle the toe kick board issue earlier. Today's Wednesday. I made it to the gym for a whopping 10 minutes. Too boring. I went home and skated for 45 minutes. An excellent time! I love that my little girl skates, even in snow.


Enough slacking. Sickness is no excuse. I had a few ideas about how I could finish off the toe kicks. See this ugly brown board at the bottom of the cabinet? Why would Mr. C. have installed THIS? (I just call the previous owner "Mr. C." because he shares the name of the dad from Happy Days. If you remember, you know it!)


Here were my ideas:
Idea 1: Strip the weird brown paint. Stain the right color.
Effort: Failed. The brown stuff is unstrippable.

Idea 2: Take the boards off, flip them over, sand, and stain them.
Effort: Failed. Cannot remove boards. At all.

Idea 3: Go to home improvement store and see if they have toe kick veneer to tack onto ugly brown boards. Turns out the ugly brown boards are made of "hard board" and they are available to purchase. Why would anyone want this in their house? It's ugly. And hard.
Effort: Put on hold. They have the veneer in stock and it's not too much - two pieces @$17 each. Fine. I decided I was too sick to make a purchase today and that I needed to return home and remeasure. Head is too cloudy.

Saturday is dishwasher buying day. See you at Abt.

Happy St. Patrick's Day to you. May all snakes or druids or whatever be driven from your town in a timely fashion today.